StatusNet 0.9.0 Released
I'm honored to be the one who gets to announce the release of StatusNet 0.9.0. This is the latest version of our software, and represents almost 8 months of hard work by the StatusNet developer community. It's available for immediate download from the status.net site.
This release includes the following new features:
- Support for the new distributed status update standard OStatus, based on PubSubHubbub, Salmon, Webfinger, and Activity Streams.
- Support for location using the Geolocation API. Notices are (optionally) marked with lat-long information with geo microformats, and can be shown on a map.
- No fixed content size. Notice size is configurable, from 1 to unlimited number of characters. Default is still 140!
- An authorization framework, allowing different levels of users.
- A Web-based administration panel.
- A moderation system that lets site moderators sandbox, silence, or delete uncooperative users.
- A flag system that lets users flag profiles for moderator review.
- Support for OAuth authentication in the Twitter API.
- User roles system that lets the owner of the site to assign administrator and moderator roles to other users.
- A pluggable authentication system.
- An authentication plugin for LDAP servers.
- Many features that were core in 0.8.x are now plugins, such as OpenID, Twitter integration, Facebook integration
- A much-improved offline processing system
- In-browser "realtime" updates using a number of realtime servers (Meteor, Orbited, Cometd)
- A plugin to provide an interface optimized for mobile browsers
- Support for Facebook Connect
- Support for logging in with a Twitter account
- Vastly improved translation with additional languages and translation in plugins
- Support for all-SSL instances
- Core support for "repeats" (like Twitter's "retweets")
- Pluggable caching system, with plugins for Memcached, APC, XCache, and a disk-based cache
- Plugin to support RSSCloud
- A framework for adding advertisements to a public site, and plugins for Google AdSense and OpenX server
- Plugins to throttle excessive subscriptions and registrations.
- A plugin to blacklist particular URLs or nicknames.
There are also literally thousands of bugs fixed and minor features added. A full changelog is available at StatusNet 0.9.0/Changelog.
Under the covers, the software has a vastly improved plugin and extension mechanism that makes writing powerful and flexible additions to the core functionality much easier.
I'd like to give my hearty congratulations to the StatusNet developer team, to the wider StatusNet development community, to our legion of translators at translatewiki.net, and to all the users who've given us helpful suggestions to making this software better.