There is no one-click install of Status.Net at DreamHost, so you'll have to either follow general installation guide or do a manual installation.
To do a manual install:
1. Download http://status.net/statusnet-0.9.6.tar.gz to your computer.
2. FTP this archive to the directory you want StatusNet to run from. If you have set up a subdomain for this, your folder might look something like: "status.yourdomain.net". Replace this with your actual name in the directions below.
3. SSH into your dreamhost account, cd into the folder, and untar. You can use --strip-components=1 to remove the "statusnet-0.9.6" folder and extract everything to the current folder.
cd status.yourdomain.net tar -xzf statusnet-0.9.6.tar.gz --strip-components=1
4. From one level up, make the directory writable:
cd .. chmod a+w status.yourdomain.net
5. Make avatar, background, and file folders writeable:
cd status.yourdomain.net chmod a+w avatar/ background/ file/
6. If don't want fancy urls, you can skip this step. If you do:
mv htaccess.sample .htaccess joe .htaccess
if you are installing to the root directory (subdomains included) change this line:
If you are installing to a subfolder, just change mublog to your subfolder name.
Now edit the config file:
add this to the bottom of the file:
$config['site']['fancy'] = true;
7. Create a new MySQL database through your DreamHost panel with defined database name, host, username, and password.
8. In your browser, go to the install.php from the root, eg "http://status.yourdomain.net/install.php"
Enter a name, your database info, and first admin account. Now you can log in as the admin and you'll have an admin link at the top.
If this doesn't do it for you, try the forum: http://forum.status.net/categories/installation.
[please add notes about settings specific to plugins to this page]