Identi.ca supports marking notices as favorites, similar to saving bookmarks in your browser. All the notices you mark as favorites will be listed in the Favorites tab of your profile. Everybody can browse your favorites.
How to favorite a notice
To mark a notice as a favorite, choose the button with a little heart shape underneath the notice, on the right side. The author of the notice will receive an email notification that you marked it as one of your favorites. (This often makes the author feel all warm and fuzzy inside.)
You may mark a user's notice as a favorite even if you do not subscribe to that user.
How to un-favorite a notice
If you mark something as a favorite by mistake, click the heart button again and the notice will be un-favorited.
What does "favorite" do, anyway?
Favoriting does a few main things:
- It helps you keep track of notices you like.
- Notices you mark are available under the "Favorites" tab of your profile, so you can find them again. Please note that these are publicly visible—anyone else who visits your profile can see what you have marked.
- It highlights notices that are interesting so that people who do not subscribe to the author can see them.
- On the main page of Identi.ca, the notices most often marked are under the "Popular" tab. A handful of the most popular are also shown on the sidebar. This can be a good way to find new people to subscribe to who post interesting things, or simply to read things that lots of other people have liked.
- It usually makes the author feel good.
- Wouldn't you feel good if someone said something you posted was one of their favorites? If you like what people are writing, spread some love around.