Laconica 0.6.1 is the most current version of Laconica, released October 6, 2008.
 New features
- Direct messages (DMs) and Favorites (faves) are now available through the Twitter-like API.
- All of the Twitter commands (see http://ur1.ca/7ru) are available through SMS, IM, Web and API, although some are not functional (for features Laconica does not yet support)
- 20 additional languages supported at various levels (some pretty basic).
- Significant additional caching using memcached for most database queries. Using memcached can significantly speed up a Laconica instance with this version.
- All required external libraries are now available in extlib/ subdirectory.
- Many bug fixes.
- Continued but poorly-documented experimental support for Postgresql.
The README file has extensive installation and configuration documentation, and is probably the best place to start.