Laconica 0.7.4 (code name: "Can't Get There From Here") is the current version of Laconica; it's the version used by identi.ca. It includes many bug fixes and feature enhancements and all users are recommended to upgrade to this version.
This is a minor bug-fix and feature release since version 0.7.3, released April 2009. Notable changes this version:
- Improved handling of UTF-8 characters. The new code is *not* backwards-compatible by default; see "Upgrading" below for instructions on converting existing databases to the correct character set.
- Unroll joins for large queries. This greatly enhanced database performance -- up to 50x for some queries -- at the expense of making an extra DB hit for some queries.
- Added an optional plugin to use WikiHashtags (http://hashtags.wikia.com/) for the sidebar on hashtag pages.
- Optimized Twitter friend synchronization.
- Better error handling for Ajax posting of notices, including HTTP errors and timeouts.
- Experimental Comet plugin -- supports the cometd and the Bayeux protocol. Using this plugin, you can show "real time" updates on the public and tag pages. However, server configuration is complex.
- Correctly shorten links posted through XMPP.
- Corrected date format in search API.
- Made the public XRDS file work correctly.
See the Upgrading section of the README.