For best compatibility with client software and site federation, and a lot of bug fixes, it is highly recommended that all public sites upgrade to the new version.
The software is available at http://status.net/statusnet-0.9.6.tar.gz
the tgz is a bit crowded in statusnet-0.9.6/ - to many files! which belong somewhere else
 Requirements and installation
|Prereqs and installation instructions are available in the README file.|
Users of version 0.9.0 or later should be able to upgrade in-place. The core database schema hasn't changed. However, it is a good idea to run scripts/checkschema.php after the in-place upgrade.
TwitterBridge plugin users upgrading from 0.9.4 or earlier should run the initialize_notice_to_status.php script in plugins/TwitterBridge/scripts/ to get improved integration for existing tweets in the StatusNet database. New tweets should work fine without running that script.
Notable changes this version:
- Site moderators can now delete groups.
- New themes: clean, shiny, mnml, victorian
- New YammerImport plugin allows site admins to import non-private profiles and message from an authenticated Yammer site.
- New experimental plugins: AnonFavorites, SlicedFavorites, GroupFavorited, ForceGroup, ShareNotice
- OAuth upgraded to 1.0a
- Localization updates now include plugins, thanks to translatewiki.net!
- SSL link generation should be more consistent; alternate SSL URLs can be set in the admin UI for more parts of the system.
- Experimental backupuser.php, restoreuser.php command-line scripts to dump/restore a user's complete activity stream. Can be used to transfer accounts manually between sites, or to save a backup before deleting.
- Unicode fixes for OStatus notices
- Header metadata on notice pages to aid in manual reposting on Facebook
- Lots of little fixes...
Changes from 0.9.6 release candidate 1:
- fix for broken group pages when logged out
- fix for stuck ping queue entries when bad profile
- fix for bogus single-user nickname config entry error
- i18n updates
- nofollow updates
- SSL-only mode secure cookie fix
- experimental ApiLogger plugin for usage data gathering
- experimental follow-everyone plugin
Full changelog at StatusNet 0.9.6/Changelog
 Older and newer versions of StatusNet
Additional versions of the StatusNet code base can be downloaded from Gitorious at http://gitorious.org/statusnet/. If you get an error about the tarball not being available for download, try again in a few minutes. You may need to empty your browser's cache to clear the message. You can also get the latest stable release from http://status.net/download.