Has your organization grown so much that you find it challenging to schedule your staff using spreadsheets or whiteboards? Are you having trouble figuring out the scheduling puzzle, generating payrolls for your employees and invoices for your clients, or reconciling staff time sheets? If so, the solution to this problem is apparent — you need an employee scheduling tool. But how do you select one? Where do you begin?
This guide will highlight vital queries that you need to ask and drawbacks that you need to be conscious of when choosing a scheduling platform for your organization.
- Choosing Employee Scheduling Software for Your Business Part 1
- What Is Employee Scheduling Software Part 2
- Types of Employee Scheduling Software Part 3
- Benefits of Employee Scheduling Software Part 4
- Employee Scheduling Software Essential Features Part 5
- 3 Key Factors to Consider in Employee Scheduling Software Part 6
Choosing Employee Scheduling Software for Your Business
With the insights in this scheduling software guide, you can easily make an informed judgment when selecting an employee scheduling tool for your organization. Tools engineered for dynamic scheduling are ideal for companies with dynamic, intricate, ever-fluctuating timetables.
If your organization often deals with scheduling conflicts like:
- Employees being assigned multiple tasks on the same day
- Multiple employees being dispensed to handle the same task
- A few hours to overnight shifts
Then your organization needs a powerful dynamic scheduling platform. Some businesses with the best employee scheduling tools include:
- Pet Sitting Services
- HVAC Maintenance Services
- Security Guard Agencies
- Construction Companies
- Cleaning and Janitorial Services
- Home Care Agencies
- Remodeling Services
- Home Health Agencies
- Interior Design Services
- Hair Salons and Spas
What Is Employee Scheduling Software?
Employee scheduling software is a computer program that helps employers and administrators manage their hourly employees.
This tool monitors and coordinates important managerial tasks, including:
- Creating, maintaining and sharing employee schedules
- Reducing scheduling conflicts
- Time off/vacations
Types of Employee Scheduling Software
Depending on their functionality, employee scheduling software can generally be grouped into two major categories.
Static scheduling is ideal for organizations with fixed working shifts. In a 24-hour time frame, this tool is designed to automatically rotate workers twice or more (adhering to a predefined periodicity). Using highly intelligent algorithms, the platform recalls the routine and streamlines the whole process by seamlessly searching for employees booked for a specific shift.
Tip: This software is perfect for hospitality businesses, like hotels and restaurants.
This model is ideal for an organization with constantly changing work shifts and those with dynamic scheduling (shifts with varying clients and locations). Designed with real-time update capability, this software helps mitigate scheduling conflicts.
Tip: This software is best for businesses like home care services, pet sitting services, and HVAC maintenance services.
Additionally, in terms of deployment, employee scheduling software can also be put into two categories.
The software is hosted and explicitly managed by a third-party service provider. With this implementation, the product is offered as a service. Instead of downloading the software, you can simply open the website, log in, and run it.
With a third party in charge, web-based employee scheduling software is not very effective when it comes to data security. However, what this software lacks in security, it compensates for with a low maintenance cost.
In this design, the software is installed on your server. Although advantageous in terms of data security, the fact that the information is only accessible via your organization’s private network is a major drawback to server-based employee scheduling software. With the high purchasing price and additional maintenance costs, this software is not ideal for a startup business.
Benefits of Employee Scheduling Software
There are several benefits of incorporating employee scheduling software, including:
- Helps solve scheduling conflicts — often, you may discover unallocated shifts in your organization. This is mostly a result of employees failing to report, thus leaving their shifts unattended to. With manual techniques, finding an employee available to cover shifts is incredibly difficult. However, with an autonomously functioning scheduling tool, you can easily reassign tasks.
- Improves employee communication — designed with powerful notification systems, the tool can connect you with employees and help you easily assign tasks.
- Ensures compliance — this tool helps you to closely monitor various business credentials, thus enforcing compliance with relevant rules and regulations.
- Reduces employee no-shows — when clients fail to report for their shifts, the software can help reduce the impact by creating a small last-minute response team.
Additional benefits include:
- Evaluating your organization’s resources
- Reducing the costs of labor
- Ensuring consistency in procedures
Essential Features to Consider Before Buying Employee Scheduling Software
To choose the ideal scheduling software to streamline and optimize your work, consider the following features.
Real-Time Communication — Mobile Technology Compatibility
An excellent employee scheduling software tool should merge its capabilities with mobile technology to ensure real-time, 24/7 access to your staff through emails, text messages, or mobile applications. This capability guarantees you timely notifications of any updates, changes, or announcements.
Assigning shifts is probably one of the most challenging tasks in your organization. Choosing a scheduling tool that can autonomously allocate tasks will greatly streamline this time-consuming process. Employee scheduling software automates the process of matching workers with appropriate tasks in an organization, thus speeding up the whole process.
With this feature, employees can virtually switch their shifts or pick up available ones. Apart from avoiding scheduling conflicts, this capability also ensures that employees stay in line with your organization’s overtime guidelines, thus preventing unplanned overtime costs.
Schedule overview is an essential feature that helps you quickly view your weekly or monthly shifts, thus giving you an insight on your employees’ timetable. This capability helps you know the time and location you are allocated to.
Designed with sophisticated algorithms, an employee scheduling software tool with this capability gives a precise projection on the number and type of resources you will need to successfully complete a certain task.
Reports and Analytics
An ideal employee scheduling software tool should be designed with exquisite features that will provide you with executive summaries on vital managerial reports, including:
✓ Labor Cost
✓ Calendar Reports
✓ Time Clock
✓ Financial Reports
✓ Data Export
A perfect employee management software tool should optimize your organization’s operations by integrating other business platforms. Additionally, the software streamlines employee collaboration, thus improving the general performance.
Factors to Consider in Employee Scheduling Software
- Targeting business challenges — first and foremost, make sure the system solves your organizational challenges. The software should have all the features and functionalities that target the problems you are facing.
- Ease of use — the system should be designed with user-friendly interfaces to accommodate users with basic tech knowledge. However, it is also important to ensure that the software maintains its functionality.
- Schedule Tracker — the main reason to purchase employee scheduling software is to streamline the scheduling process, so choosing a tool designed with a schedule tracker is essential.
Other Important Factors to Consider Include:
- System Compatibility
- Accessibility and Security
- Available Technical Support
Try these templates on Status.net [FREE]