Daily progress report is a great tool to track the progress of interns, new employees, trainees, and others.
- How to Write a Daily Progress Report: 4 Best Practices Part 1
- 2 Smart Daily Progress Report Templates: Free Download Part 2
- How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier Part 3
- Additional Sources Part 4
As the name suggests, a daily progress report at the end of each working day heavily weighs on how tasks develop or on how an individual was able to demonstrate an improvement towards developing mastery of a skill or task assigned to him. It’s a useful tool for supervisors to track employees based on how much they complete.
On the other hand, employees will also find this particular report useful for them as well, since it allows them to see their own progress—whether they deserve to be proud of what they have accomplished so far or whether they need to double their efforts to work on the areas they need to improve.
Here are a 4 best practices on writing a daily progress report:
Know the Purpose and the Nature of the Daily Progress Report
First of all, progress reports are about ‘progress’ and you should figure out what type of progress the report is after. Is it to track completion of a project or task, or is it to monitor an individual’s development? Knowing this will help the report writer focus on the needed information and exclude unnecessary data.
Determine the Organization’s Preferred Type of Reporting
Some progress reports are written in the narrative, especially those which cater to an individual’s development and are usually written in a first-person perspective. On the other hand, a progress report on a project or task may be written using bullet-points since the main purpose here is to see the individual’s accomplishments and on what tasks he was able to cover so far. However, both forms of reporting have uses for both types of a progress report, and both have their own sets of advantages and disadvantages.
Add in Some Graphs, Tables, and Charts
These will give the progress report more substance and readability. It will also help the readers have a quick grasp of what the report is all about or how the project or the individual progressed on that day by merely looking at the lines or bars of a graph.
Ensure That the Report Stays on Topic
A writer of a report may easily redirect because of his emotions, especially if he writes about something which he feels strongly about. For example, he may have finally executed a task on his own or he was able to figure out a solution to a problem which has been hindering him from completing his assignment. Be objective as possible. Writing about how an employee felt about his work will surely have its own medium.
Daily Progress Report Template: Free Download Section
You can also use the following templates on ProsperForms:
How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier
How to configure status reports on ProsperForms:
- Create a “Project Status Report” applet — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill in and submit the report.
Data such as the report type, date and name will be added automatically.
As soon as a new status report is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time.
Step 3 (Optional): Generate a report and export it to PDF.
(Skip this step if you share status reports online and don’t print them.)
Click “Generate Report”.
- Make project reporting easier with auto-fill:
Fields such as date, name, report type, and formatting are inserted automatically by software.
- Consolidate reports automatically:
Reports created by your team members can be consolidated easily.
- Save time with auto-layout:
No need to spend hours in Word or Excel perfecting the report’s layout because it exports your updates into a beautifully crafted file with a couple of clicks.
- Peace of mind with auto-reminders:
No one forgets to fill in their status reports because ProsperForms automatically sends timely reminders according to the schedule you chose.
- Decrease time and effort spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Quick sharing:
Status reports can be either
– exported to files and printed, or sent by email;
– shared with the manager online (in real time);
– optionally shared online as team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other to spend less time on meetings.
Sign up now.