- What Is a Handover Report Part 1
- Importance of a Handover Report Part 2
- 4 Key Components of a Handover Report Part 3
- Handover Report Template Part 4
Handover report is a document that precisely updates incoming employees on the current condition of his/her position — an excellent handing over allows your successor in effortlessly assuming responsibilities of the specific job and provides incoming employees with a clear picture of a specific post thus ensuring a smooth and effective transition. So, handover reports are a tool used to transfer knowledge and expertise from one employee to another. They are often compiled at the end of a workday or project, or when an employee leaves the company. It is typically a document with information about what was done, what was learned, and how it can be continued by the next person in charge. It is crucial for the smooth running of any organization as it helps in maintaining the continuity of work.
The handover report is often used as a way to make sure that the knowledge gained during a project or shift is not lost when someone leaves. It’s also used as a way to make sure that those who take over from somebody else know what they need to do and don’t have any surprises.
Generally, a comprehensive handing over procedure provides incoming employees with insights across a number of aspects like:
- Ongoing tasks/projects
- Relevant work schedules
- Pending projects/tasks
- Upcoming events
- Upcoming deadlines
- Log-in details and many more
Importance of a Handover Report
Handover report can be used in many scenarios. It can be used when there is a change in personnel, when someone is assigned to a different project, or when someone needs to take over for another person because they are on vacation. The report contains all the necessary information about the task or project that needs to be handed over. This includes any outstanding issues and their status, as well as details about how they were solved or how and when they will be resolved. The person receiving the report should also know how to contact the original worker if they need any additional information. The handover report should be written in a professional manner with appropriate language for both parties involved in this process.
This insightful document enables you to:
- Provide your successor with clear updates thus helping him/her in devising an informed course of action.
- Allows departmental managers to perfectly understand the current stage of pending projects thus enhancing scheduling.
- Offers an updated version of your most current undertaking, achievements and goals thus providing your supervisor with a reliable data-source.
- Highlights possible workflow challenges as well as faulty equipment.
Check also the following articles:
8 Templates of Shift Handover Reports
7 Best Examples of End of Shift Report Forms
How to Write a Perfect Production Shift Handover Report
The Complete Guide to Shift Handover Process (SOP, Templates, Procedures)
4 Key Components of a Handover Report
Handover reports are a vital part of the process of handing over work from one person to another. They serve as a way to communicate and document the details about the project that is being handed over. This report includes information about the tasks that were completed, any problems that occurred, and any additional tasks for the new person.
A good handover report should be accurate and clear, and contain enough information for the receiver to understand what needs to be done next. It should also be succinct, so as not to waste time reading through unnecessary details.
Before you start piecing together your report, it is imperative to highlight all the details that may be relevant to your successor.
Generally, a comprehensive handover report captures a number of aspects regarding your job post which include
The Precise Status of Ongoing Tasks
Specifically, this section entails a brief but detailed description of all the unfinished projects and tasks.
Besides highlighting the precise dates approaching deadlines, it is advisable to include brief notes regarding the urgency of the task. In addition to that, indicate the appropriate delivery channel as well as other team members involved.
While providing the precise time of forthcoming events is essential as it allows new employees to properly prepare, an excellent handover report should capture the exact details of the occasion.
Sometimes a handover report should provide your successor with a comprehensive list of all the special roles that your job post involves. Generally, this section is predominantly ideal for managerial positions.
Other Components Include
- Troubleshooting issues to be aware of
- Distinguished people and repetitive procedures involved
- Log-ins to exclusive sites and databases
- Chain of command to be aware of
Handover Report Template
To understand how exactly this document looks like, here is a customizable handover report form:
ProsperForms is a cloud solution to dramatically reduce the time you spend creating reports
- Make reporting easier with auto-fill: Fields such as date, name, report type, and formatting are inserted automatically by software.
- Consolidate reports automatically: Reports created by your team members can be consolidated easily.
- Save time with auto-layout: No need to spend hours in Word or Excel perfecting the report’s layout because it exports your updates into a beautifully crafted file with a couple of clicks.
- Peace of mind with auto-reminders: No one forgets to submit their reports because ProsperForms automatically sends timely reminders according to the schedule you chose.
- Decrease time and effort spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Quick sharing: Reports can be either - exported to files and printed, or sent by email; - shared with the manager online (in real time); - optionally shared online as team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other to spend less time on meetings.
How to configure reports on ProsperForms:Step 1:
- Choose a form (100+ forms available) — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.