- What Is a Handover Report Part 1
- Importance of a Handover Report Part 2
- 4 Key Components of a Handover Report Part 3
- Handover Report Template Part 4
Handover report is a document that precisely updates incoming employees on the current condition of his/her position — an excellent handing over allows your successor in effortlessly assuming responsibilities of the specific job and provides incoming employees with a clear picture of a specific post thus ensuring a smooth and effective transition. Generally, a comprehensive handing over procedure provides incoming employees with insights across a number of aspects like:
- Ongoing tasks/projects
- Relevant work schedules
- Pending projects/tasks
- Upcoming events
- Upcoming deadlines
- Log-in details and many more
Importance of a Handover Report
This insightful document enables you to:
- Provide your successor with clear updates thus helping him/her in devising an informed course of action.
- Allows departmental managers to perfectly understand the current stage of pending projects thus enhancing scheduling.
- Offers an updated version of your most current undertaking, achievements and goals thus providing your supervisor with a reliable data-source.
- Highlights possible workflow challenges as well as faulty equipment.
4 Key Components of a Handover Report
Before you start piecing together your report, it is imperative to highlight all the details that may be relevant to your successor.
Generally, a comprehensive handover report captures a number of aspects regarding your job post which include
The Precise Status of Ongoing Tasks
Specifically, this section entails a brief but detailed description of all the unfinished projects and tasks.
Besides highlighting the precise dates approaching deadlines, it is advisable to include brief notes regarding the urgency of the task. In addition to that, indicate the appropriate delivery channel as well as other team members involved.
While providing the precise time of forthcoming events is essential as it allows new employees to properly prepare, an excellent handover report should capture the exact details of the occasion.
Sometimes a handover report should provide your successor with a comprehensive list of all the special roles that your job post involves. Generally, this section is predominantly ideal for managerial positions.
Other Components Include
- Troubleshooting issues to be aware of
- Distinguished people and repetitive procedures involved
- Log-ins to exclusive sites and databases
- Chain of command to be aware of
Handover Report Template
To understand how exactly this document looks like, here is a customizable handover report form:
How to start:
Step 1: Create your free account and create a new applet by selecting a customizable template.
- Set the applet as “Team-wide” if you want all team members to view each other’s records.
- Alternatively, you can allow each participant to view his/her own records only and stakeholders to view all entries.
- Invite guests with limited permissions, if needed.
- Set up reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic email reminders.
- Configure who will add records by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill it out and submit it.
Step 3: As soon as a new record is added, participants with “View” rights will receive an email notification and can view it in real time on the Timeline screen.
- Click “Edit” to change status or other relevant attributes.
- Employees can discuss records in real time — each record has its own section for live comments.
- Add an unlimited number of attachments (documents, images, photos, videos, audio notes, files) to a record.
- Export records or share them online.
Step 4: Get instant access to historical data and files with powerful search and filtering capabilities.
Step 5: The dashboard screen allows you to save time when you want to check a high-level overview, with quick one-click retrieval of the relevant information.