Essential Techniques for an Effective Leadership Meeting (+ Free Agendas)
Leadership meetings are primarily conducted to make decisions and to ensure that the organization’s operation is aligned with its targets and goals. Apart from deciding on key issues, it is also through these meetings that business strategies are crafted to realize the organization’s goals and aspirations effectively.
A highly-productive leadership meeting is a great contributor to the success of an organization since this gathering is the place to produce excellent ideas and strategies. Participants should also look forward to attending these meetings, and leave them feeling energized and inspired.
On the other hand, poorly-prepared and poorly-conducted leadership meetings are a terrible waste of time. These meetings result in unresolved problems, poor decisions, and missed opportunities for the organization. Participants are left frustrated and demotivated.
- How to Run an Effective Leadership Meeting Part 1
- Leadership Meeting Agenda Free Download Part 2
- How to Make Meeting Agendas 10x Easier Part 3
- How to Spend Less Time on Meetings? Part 4
- Additional Sources Part 5
Here are the key points to consider in order to run an effective leadership meeting:
1. The purpose of the meeting should be clear, not only to the organizers, but also to the coordinators and participants
The success of any meeting is directly linked to the clarity of its goals. Each leadership meeting should have explicitly defined objectives which tell everyone involved what the meeting is about, and what the expected results of the meeting are. That is, what is expected to be achieved or accomplished. Avoid listing agenda topics which involve daily operational issues or subjects which may be better addressed at a the lower level. A leadership meeting agenda should concentrate on strategic matters. For more techniques on preparing meeting agendas, please read this article.
2. Ensure that participants are well-prepared to attend the meeting
Reading reports on the day of the meeting itself is a waste of time. This should be done before the actual meeting. Take note that a leadership meeting is about decision-making and crafting business strategies and participants should come in armed with ideas, suggestions, and be ready to engage in a substantive discussion which will result in valuable results.
3. Meetings should be structured
A carefully-prepared meeting agenda will help bring structure and form to the meeting. It will guide everyone on which topics to discuss in order of priority and how long they should spend on a given topic. Leadership meetings are often thought to be serious and formal which makes it dreadful for some participants. Look for some leadership meeting ideas that will maintain participants’ interest and prevent their attention wandering due to boredom.
4. Acknowledge each participants’ contributions
Take advantage of the group’s diversity and reflect their different backgrounds, experiences, skills and expertise. These factors will help enrich the brainstorming process and, in turn, will contribute to creating innovative ideas. Establish a healthy environment for expressing ideas, sharing experiences, and asking questions. There are different brainstorming techniques which can be found in this article.
5. Take minutes to document everything that has been discussed
It is very important to record everything that has been reviewed and what the group was able to achieve after a meeting. This article is a good reference on how to prepare the minutes of the meeting.
A leadership meeting is an opportunity for the top officials of an organization to gather and think of ways to improve performance and to further drive the firm towards success. Proper preparation and conduct will enable these meetings to achieve those goals.
Effective Leadership Meeting: Free Download
How to Make Meeting Agendas and Minutes 10x Easier
How to configure online meeting agendas and/or meeting minutes:
- Create a “Meeting Agenda” or “Meeting Minutes” applet on Status Platform — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders
- Configure who will submit it by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill it in and submit it.
- Participants can comment on a meeting agenda in its comments section, which ensures the right context for discussion and further reference.
- Mention those people who you want to take action or pay attention by using @ before their names. These people will receive personal notifications on their status accounts and by email.
@mention a team member in your meeting agenda or in its comments section by using “@” and your team member’s name.
Example comment: “@Peter and @Mary, do you have any comments regarding the “Metrics” section? @Don, are you coming to the meeting?”
In this case, Peter, Mary, Don will automatically receive an additional personal notification, so they know they’re expected to take action or pay attention and won’t forget to add their input in the meeting agenda’s comments section.
Info such as the date and the name of the person will be added automatically.
As soon as a new meeting agenda/minutes record is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time when they log in to their Status Platform accounts. They will also automatically receive an email notification.
Step 3 (Optional): Print it.
(Skip this step if you share meeting agendas and minutes online and don’t print them.)
- Choose date
- Click “file” button
- Click “Generate”
Sign up now to make your team happier and more productive.
- Make meeting agendas and minutes instantly available to the meeting participants.
- Save time with auto completion:
Fields such as date, name, formatting, etc. are inserted automatically by software.
- For regular meetings:
Configure recurrence and assign people who will receive automatic reminders to create and share upcoming meeting agendas and/or minutes.
- For irregular meetings:
Start your agenda with info about the meeting date, time and place and this will work as mass-notification: Status Platform will automatically send emails with full text to all participants as soon as you submit it.
- Improve meeting agendas with the option to gather info for the upcoming meeting agenda from participants.
- Draw attention of specific team members by using the “mentions” feature, if you need input or comments from those people. When you @mention your team members, they will receive a separate personal notification by email.
- Easy sharing:
Meeting agendas and minutes can be either
— exported to files and printed;
— shared online with selected people (in this case, an email with the full text of the meeting agenda will be sent automatically to those with “View” permission); or
— shared online company-wide or team-wide (the latest meeting agenda will be available online and a notification email will be sent automatically to each team member).
How to Spend Less Time on Meetings?
How to use Status Platform for status reports:
- Easily implement daily or weekly status reports for your team members by creating a status feed with questions like “What did you do today?” or “How did you contribute to the team’s goals this week?”.
- Peace of mind: No one forgets to fill in their status reports because Status Platform sends timely reminders according to the recurrence schedule you chose.
- Increase workplace satisfaction by improving transparency:
Each status update has a separate section for comments, which is used by team members to clarify information, including upcoming goals, and by leaders to provide feedback and coordinate better without micromanagement.
- Use status reports for future reference and decrease time and efforts spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Optionally, enrich reports with the latest updates automatically added from web apps your team uses (such as project management tools, version control systems, support systems, financial applications, etc.) by connecting these apps to your status applet.
- Spend less time on meetings by making them more productive because everyone is on the same page at all times.
- Sharing: Status reports can be either
— exported to files and printed, or sent by email;
— shared with manager online (in this case, an email with the full text of the status report will be sent automatically); or
— shared online as company-wide or team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other.
How to configure status reports on Status Platform:
- Create a “Status Report” applet — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill in and submit the report.
Data such as the report type, date and name will be added automatically.
As soon as a new status report is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time.
- Set the applet as “Team-wide” if you want all team members to view each other’s status reports.
- Alternatively, you can make every participant to view his/her own reports only. Manager/stakeholders will view all reports.
- Add, remove, and assign new team members at any time.
Step 3 (Optional): Generate a report and export it to PDF.
(Skip this step if you share status reports online and don’t print them.)
Click “Generate Report”.
Additional Free Downloads
- How to Run a Productive Team Meeting + Free Template Download
- How to Conduct a Staff Meeting + Free Sample Agenda
- How to Conduct a One On One Meeting + Free Template