A progress report is generally prepared to show an individual’s progress towards developing the right set of competencies and skills he is supposed to have. It may also be a documentation of how a particular project or tasks are being carried out and completed.
- Types of Progress Reports Part 1
- Samples and Templates: Free Download Part 2
- How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier Part 3
- Additional Sources Part 4
Progress report for an individual is usually written to document how a student, an intern, or an employee are gradually learning and how they were able to apply the knowledge and skills they acquired in executing tasks and solving problems. The main types of these reports are:
Internship/Student Progress Reports
An internship progress report discusses learnings and accomplishments made by the intern. It basically outlines a description of the intern’s job, identifies the skills and knowledge he used to perform the necessary tasks during his internship, and a discussion on how the trainee performed the duties and how he was able to apply his knowledge and show his capabilities.
It includes a short introduction to the organization or the company where the internship was performed, the period covered by the report, and a summary of the activities and tasks he performed, as well as his first job responsibilities and how his job scope changed throughout the internship period.
Employee Progress Report
Employee’s progress report presents employee’s developments in terms of acquiring skills, competencies, and mastery necessary to perform his job. Most of the time, this type of report is made by an employee who is on a probationary status. When someone has been appointed as an employee on a probationary status, he is considered to be capable of meeting the standard performance, given sufficient time to learn and be exposed to the job. Therefore, he is expected to completely acquire the required level of competencies for his job during his probationary period, and his developments are recorded through this report.
Aside from documenting an employee’s development, this report also helps them and their supervisor determine their strengths and areas for improvement. It can also be used as a guide in providing training interventions for the said employee, in order to further help them develop the competencies needed for the job.
More types of progress reports, best practices and free templates:
Templates and Samples:
Templates on Status Platform:
How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier
How to configure status reports on Status Platform:
- Create a “Progress Report” applet — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill in and submit the report.
Data such as the report type, date and name will be added automatically.
As soon as a new status report is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time.
- Set the applet as “Team-wide” if you want all team members to view each other’s status reports.
- Alternatively, you can make every participant to view his/her own reports only. Manager/stakeholders will view all reports.
- Add, remove, and assign new team members at any time.
Step 3 (Optional): Generate a report and export it to PDF.
(Skip this step if you share status reports online and don’t print them.)
Click “Generate Report”.
- Make reporting easier with auto-fill:
Fields such as date, name, report type, and formatting are inserted automatically by software.
- Consolidate reports automatically:
Reports created by your team members can be consolidated easily.
- Save time with auto-layout:
No need to spend hours in Word or Excel perfecting the report’s layout because it exports your updates into a beautifully crafted file with a couple of clicks.
- Peace of mind with auto-reminders:
No one forgets to fill in their status reports because Status Platform sends timely reminders according to the schedule you chose.
- Decrease time and effort spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Optionally, enrich reports with the latest updates automatically added from web apps your team uses (such as project management tools, version control systems, support systems, financial applications, etc.) by connecting these apps to your status applet.
- Quick sharing:
Status reports can be either
– exported to files and printed, or sent by email;
– shared with the manager online (in real time);
– shared online (in real-time) as company-wide or team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other — spend less time on meetings.
Sign up now to make status reporting easier for your team.
- Awesome Weekly Status Report Templates
- Writing a Daily Work Log (+ Free Templates)
- Best Status Reports: The Complete List With 25+ Free Downloads