Among the competencies ideal for a project manager to have is report-writing. No matter how good his project management skills are if he cannot sum it up and present it in a report, his efforts will not be recognized by the management or the stakeholders.
One of the most important reports that he needs to write is a project management report. This particular report provides a comprehensive account of the aspects and important details of the project and the action taken by the team to accomplish the tasks involved or furthermore to achieve its performance targets.
- What the Report Should Have Part 1
- Project Management Report: 2 Must-Have Templates Part 2
- How to Make Project Status Reporting 10x Easier Part 3
- Additional Sources Part 4
Here are some suggestions on what a project management report should contain that will perfectly describe what has been complete in terms of project management:
- A project management report may be as detailed, as possible, or they may be as simple as providing weekly updates. Nevertheless, it pays to know which format should be in producing one to maximize resources such as time and effort.
- If the company prefers a detailed project summary report, it is important to present updates on the key metrics such as the following:
Timelines and Project Schedules
It measures how the project is progressing in terms of the planned tasks and also whether these are accomplished within the target schedule. The relevance of this metric is for the management to know whether the project will be completed on time or not.
Under this metric, expenses made for the project are assessed on whether they are still on the budget or if they are also within the planned expenditures. It is important for the stakeholders to get an update on the financial aspect of the project for them see if the budget intended for the project is being used judiciously.
This section talks about the project team’s overall performance. This part allows the team to show how they are working towards the completion of the project. Also, it may be in this portion whether the team’s skills and competencies are a right match as to the requirements of the project or some interventions are in need for them to perform well and deliver the project.
The section on changes may not be regularly filled-up as there is only a need for such if the team adopted some changes as to the project plan.
This might be the most important aspect of the report, as the team is expected to deliver outputs and results which are on schedule and within the budget. However, the output must also pass the requirements of the client, the management, or the stakeholders.
It is unavoidable to encounter problems, issues, and challenges during the implementation of the project. Thus, this section is where the team should discuss the problems they have encountered during the reporting period and what they have done to resolve or to address the issue.
- On the other hand, if management only wants to know the state of the project at any given moment, a simple project update on status.net on the major milestones will work just fine.
Project Management Report: Free Download Section
Templates on ProsperForms:
How to Make Project Status Reporting 10x Easier
How to configure status reports on ProsperForms:
- Create a “Project Status Report” applet — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill in and submit the report.
Data such as the report type, date and name will be added automatically.
As soon as a new status report is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time.
Step 3 (Optional): Generate a report and export it to PDF.
(Skip this step if you share status reports online and don’t print them.)
Click “Generate Report”.
- Make project reporting easier with auto-fill:
Fields such as date, name, report type, and formatting are inserted automatically by software.
- Consolidate reports automatically:
Reports created by your team members can be consolidated easily.
- Save time with auto-layout:
No need to spend hours in Word or Excel perfecting the report’s layout because it exports your updates into a beautifully crafted file with a couple of clicks.
- Peace of mind with auto-reminders:
No one forgets to fill in their status reports because ProsperForms automatically sends timely reminders according to the schedule you chose.
- Decrease time and effort spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Quick sharing:
Status reports can be either
– exported to files and printed, or sent by email;
– shared with the manager online (in real time);
– optionally shared online as team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other to spend less time on meetings.
Sign up now.