- 4 Tips on the Project Summary Part 1
- Project Summary Report: Template Download Part 2
- Additional Resources Part 3
- How to Dramatically Reduce Time You Spend Creating Reports Part 4
A project summary report contains a brief discussion of the progress of a project during the reporting period. It is helpful in maintaining and handling all the data related to the project in a way that is easy to understand and manage. What matters most is that these project summary reports reflect the real status of the project and also effectively convey its intended message to its readers.
Here are the main points to keep in mind when writing project summary reports:
Write the Report with the Readers in Mind.
The project summary report should not be an exhibit of how extensive the project manager’s knowledge about the project is. He must take into consideration the level of familiarity with the management and other stakeholders with the project.
Also, caution must be observed in using technical terms and concepts, as the readers of the report might not be familiar with them. However, if it is unavoidable to use them, provide a brief explanation of the term or the concept and use these words as sparingly as possible.
Support the Report with Data.
Reporting on the progress of a project is better if there is concrete and tangible data to back it up.
Though using too many figures and statistics may not be too helpful in some cases, a combination of texts and figures might just do the trick.
Overview the Sections.
There are a lot of project summary report templates available to be used for free which may have already pre-arranged the sequence of each section of the report. If a project manager is creating one from scratch, they may want to put the budget section as the last component of the report so he or she does not need to provide an explanation for each project-related expenses made during the reporting period.
Plan for the Future.
Include a brief discussion on the future tasks for the next reporting period.
In the minds of management, a project is just as good as how it was in a project summary report – this is especially true if they do not have a physical access to the project itself and have no other means of getting updated about the project aside from the reports they are getting from the project team.
Make the report speak for the project by making it brief, concise, transparent, and also as comprehensive as possible.
Project Summary Report: Free Download Section
You can also use the following templates on ProsperForms:
- How to Write a Project Management Report + Free Template Download
- How to Write a Project Status Report + Free Template Download
- How to Build a Smart Project Progress Report + Free Template Download
ProsperForms is a cloud solution to dramatically reduce the time you spend creating reports
- Make reporting easier with auto-fill: Fields such as date, name, report type, and formatting are inserted automatically by software.
- Consolidate reports automatically: Reports created by your team members can be consolidated easily.
- Save time with auto-layout: No need to spend hours in Word or Excel perfecting the report’s layout because it exports your updates into a beautifully crafted file with a couple of clicks.
- Peace of mind with auto-reminders: No one forgets to submit their reports because ProsperForms automatically sends timely reminders according to the schedule you chose.
- Decrease time and effort spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Quick sharing: Reports can be either - exported to files and printed, or sent by email; - shared with the manager online (in real time); - optionally shared online as team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other to spend less time on meetings.
How to configure reports on ProsperForms:Step 1:
- Choose a form (100+ forms available) — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.