In software or any product development, there is a quality assurance phase to assess its readiness and completeness before the actual product or software releases.
QA teams are able to do this by executing test cases or situations that simulate actual usage of the product or software and reporting on the defects found and fixed.
It is necessary for a QA team to create or generate reports that will reflect the integrity and credibility of the tests they make, and most especially, the significance and value of its results. Typically, a test status report is something to do on a daily basis by the QA team to the developers and other stakeholders, during a daily status meeting.
A QA daily status report accounts for the team’s activities for the day that includes both test case and defect information. Aside from the development team, recipients of this report may include business analysis, environment support, or project teams.
This report should contain the information generated on a daily basis in terms of a number of test cases planned and executed, defects encountered and their respective states, and downtimes.
Test execution sheets or link to the test management tool is also attached to the report to support the results presented and to serve as a reference if the recipient of the report needs one.
- Important Things to Consider for Writing the Report Part 1
- QA Daily Status Report Free Templates Download Part 2
- How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier Part 3
- Additional Resources Part 4
Here are some important things to remember in coming up with a QA daily status report:
- Show the overall status of the test cases and include simple metrics such as percentages in terms of test cases passed, defect density, and others.
In doing so, the QA team is not just providing figures but is actually giving an overview of the quality of the test on the product.
- Highlight significant phases of the test execution, as well as critical defects, found if there are any.
- The visual presentation of the test results will help make the report interesting and easier to understand. If it is applicable, use charts, tables, or graphs to present the test results.
- It is also beneficial to include the test cases planned for the next day and to state in the daily report of the QA team needs input from other groups.
- If the QA team is seeing a trend or pattern based on the results of its test execution, it will be helpful to include such observation in the daily report, including a brief explanation of how that trend or pattern impacts the product or what it means in terms of test execution or product development.
Make the report concise and short, as much as possible, and ensure that the data are accurate. Use bullet points to make the report easy on the eyes of the reader.
QA Daily Status Report: Free Download Section
Templates on ProsperForms:
How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier
How to configure status reports on ProsperForms:
- Create a “Project Status Report” applet — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill in and submit the report.
Data such as the report type, date and name will be added automatically.
As soon as a new status report is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time.
Step 3 (Optional): Generate a report and export it to PDF.
(Skip this step if you share status reports online and don’t print them.)
Click “Generate Report”.
- Make project reporting easier with auto-fill:
Fields such as date, name, report type, and formatting are inserted automatically by software.
- Consolidate reports automatically:
Reports created by your team members can be consolidated easily.
- Save time with auto-layout:
No need to spend hours in Word or Excel perfecting the report’s layout because it exports your updates into a beautifully crafted file with a couple of clicks.
- Peace of mind with auto-reminders:
No one forgets to fill in their status reports because ProsperForms automatically sends timely reminders according to the schedule you chose.
- Decrease time and effort spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Quick sharing:
Status reports can be either
– exported to files and printed, or sent by email;
– shared with the manager online (in real time);
– optionally shared online as team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other to spend less time on meetings.
Sign up now.