The primary purpose of a status report is to present updates on a project or activity, monitor its actual progress versus the targets, discuss issues and challenges encountered during the reporting period, and other matters which may need the attention of stakeholders.
- Types of Status Reports: Free Resources and Downloads Part 1
- General-Purpose Status Report Template Free Download Part 2
- How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier Part 3
- Additional Sources Part 4
An employee status report documents an employee’s performance, activities, and accomplishments in a given period. It may take the form of a manual logbook that the supervisor may look at, or through an email to be sent to the supervisor.
This type of status report provides an account of the accomplishments of the unit or department in a given reporting period and an overview of the financial details, production status, and other matters concerning the department.
An executive report provides a high-level summary of all updates and progress of a project and is submitted to the top management of an organization or a company. Due to their limited time, top officials may not have enough time to go over a full detailed report, that is why this type of report is prepared. The ultimate goal of this report is to tell whether the project is progressing as planned and to determine ways of catching up if the project is behind its schedule.
A financial status report is a summary of all fund disbursements, general fund status, and budget adjustments. Generated at the end of a reporting period, it is usually submitted to business managers, the board of directors, investors, stakeholders, auditing bodies, and the government.
These are a brief but detailed account of the work accomplished which are submitted to the customer or client on a regular basis, depending on the agreement. Aside from work accomplishments, it also discusses the questions or problems encountered by the team which the client may also need to look into. This type of report also provides a preview of what is going to happen in the following week or month.
An implementation status report serves as a documentation of the project’s history and may be used later in the evaluation, review, and analysis of how the project went through. Through this status report, stakeholders are informed of the status of the project implementation in terms of schedule, scope, resources, costs, etc.
An IT status report presents the status of the information technology in a company or in an organization containing updates on the overall status of key IT initiatives, accomplishments during the reporting period. An excellently written IT report can present the valuable contribution of IT in the organization which other officials or staff within the company may not easily understand.
A marketing status report provides updates on the status or progress of a marketing campaign and is generated monthly to serve as the basis for critical company decisions on its marketing policies and other related matters. Through this report, the organization can see whether the marketing campaigns are performing according to plan and which among the marketing activities are actually delivering results.
One-page status report account for all accomplishments, milestones, problems, issues encountered, and budgetary information, but in a shorter form. All this information must be brief and concise enough to fit on one page.
Quarterly reports provide a strategic balance between long- and short-term vision to help initiate changes within the organization or company. It helps generate necessary data for the company that is reliable and credible.
A scrum status report provides a list of values delivered to the project such as features developed and requirements satisfied. The report should be able to keep the team and the client updated on the progress of the project which has actual business value.
The team status report provides a detailed summary of accomplishments and activities done by the team to carry out a project. It is a reliable way of keeping the team on how the project or the tasks are progressing and where these are heading.
A daily work report is an essential tool to ensure that employees are on track with their performance targets and also to monitor their progress. It also lets the supervisors see what the staff did on a particular day and what he or she plans to do the next day.
If you’re a team leader, you’ll also enjoy this article: “The Ultimate Guide to Daily and Weekly Status Reports With Case Studies“
A business development status report provides a better overview of business opportunities a company or an organization has. It also accounts of the progress of activities conducted by the firm to enhance its business, policy, and operations.
Quality assurance teams execute tests to simulate actual usage of a product and find out if there are defects. The status and the results of these test are often contained in a QA daily report. This report is provided not only to the product developers but to the other stakeholders, too.
Summarizing how an employee spent his time on the job, a daily work log creates a detailed picture of how the employees spent their day. It helps the supervisor and the employee understand how productive the day went by.
A daily report is prepared by an employee detailing how they spent their work day, including their achievements and challenges. It also enables the team manager to have an overview how the team’s project is progressing.
Daily report is usually less detailed then a work log. Check the best daily report templates here.
A weekly status report is a summary of all work done during a week and how these tasks contributed to the completion of project or assignment. It is also a helpful tool for the manager to monitor the performance and the progress of this team.
Choosing between daily reports vs. weekly status reports? Check this case study
Helping the management to assess the company’s performance in terms of sales, a weekly sales report affects major decisions related to business development, recruitment, salary increases, and other aspects of business operations.
Here are some general tips on how to effectively write a status report:
- Find out the exact information required to be in the report. It is important to get the information from the persons involved to minimize time and effort to be spent on making the report.
- Find out if there is a standard format or template for the kind of status report. With a standard format, it will be easier to determine what information should be included in the report and there is a lesser chance of missing out on important things.
- An ideal report presentation should discuss the accomplishments first, then the plans, and then the other matters on the third part. Bottlenecks, issues, risks, and other important concerns may also be discussed in the third part.
- Just like any work-related documents, a status report also reflects the personality of its creator. If it is free from any grammar mistakes and typographical error, impeccably prepared, and well-thought, the same thing is thought about the writer of the report. If it is the other way around, the author is viewed as lousy and just take things for granted.
Status Report Free Download
If you need a general-purpose status report, check this free sample:
Templates on ProsperForms:
How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier
How to configure status reports on ProsperForms:
- Create a “Project Status Report” applet — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill in and submit the report.
Data such as the report type, date and name will be added automatically.
As soon as a new status report is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time.
Step 3 (Optional): Generate a report and export it to PDF.
(Skip this step if you share status reports online and don’t print them.)
Click “Generate Report”.
- Make project reporting easier with auto-fill:
Fields such as date, name, report type, and formatting are inserted automatically by software.
- Consolidate reports automatically:
Reports created by your team members can be consolidated easily.
- Save time with auto-layout:
No need to spend hours in Word or Excel perfecting the report’s layout because it exports your updates into a beautifully crafted file with a couple of clicks.
- Peace of mind with auto-reminders:
No one forgets to fill in their status reports because ProsperForms automatically sends timely reminders according to the schedule you chose.
- Decrease time and effort spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Quick sharing:
Status reports can be either
– exported to files and printed, or sent by email;
– shared with the manager online (in real time);
– optionally shared online as team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other to spend less time on meetings.
Sign up now.