- What Is a Travel Expense Reimbursement Form? Part 1
- What Is a Travel Expense Reimbursement Policy? Part 2
- Best Practices and Free Form Templates Part 3
What Is Travel Expense Reimbursement Form?
Travel expense reimbursement form is a document that helps employees systematically and objectively capture all the refundable costs incurred during a business excursion. This document provides you with an accurate report regarding all the personal costs your staff members incur during a business trip. Besides boosting accountability, an excellent travel reimbursement form streamlines the whole compensation process.
What Is Travel Expense Reimbursement Policy?
Travel Expense Reimbursement Policy clearly highlights various personal expenditure scenarios eligible for repayment by your organization. Additionally, a travel reimbursement form also outlines expense cases that are not covered as well as the method of compensation.
A Brief Sneak Peek into an Excellent Travel Expense Reimbursement Policy
Ensuring that you are on the same page with your workforce is imperative for the healthy running of your organization. Before you even think of sending out a staff member to attend a conference, you need to explicitly state out the rules of engagement.
For this purpose, you need to develop detailed and clear reimbursement policies and distribute them across your entire workforce. Typically, your policy should include key compensation insights like:
1. Establish Expenditures Qualified for a Refund
Generally, this section should include all the travel purchases that are fit for reimbursement – highlighting what your company is willing to refund for and what not, this section in all aspects are considered to be the most crucial. As a result, when handling this vital part, you should focus on facts and clarity.
Common travel reimbursements to include are:
- Flight/commuting fares
- Phone charges
- Registration Fees
- Entertainment allowances (set daily limits)
2. Guiding Principles on How to Claim a Refund
The main objective of this part is to provide your employees with well-defined guidelines on the best channel to use when submitting their payment request forms.
Additionally, this section includes key information needed for payment claims to go through. For a travel reimbursement form to be approved some of the crucial insights to provide include:
- The precise date of purchase
- A brief explanation of the commodity purchased
- The total amount of the purchase (preferably in numerical form)
- Details of the vendor inclusive of a valid phone number and address
- Supporting documents to validate purchase (receipts, bank statements or bills-either scanned or in physical form)
- Probably a picture of the product purchased (not necessary though)
3. A Reasonable Refund Timeframe Since Payment Request
Once a travel expense reimbursement form is approved, employees need to know when they will get their money back. With a date on when they possibly will receive their cash, your employees will be able to adjust financially.
Best Practices for Travel Reimbursement Forms
- Your travel reimbursement policy should be comprehensive
- Cash advances are impartial elements in a reimbursement form
- Compensation time should not exceed two weeks
- When giving guidelines, especially where to submit the forms, you should use simple easy to understand language
- Documents required for approval should be boldly stated on the form especially when dealing with newly hired employees
Travel reimbursement forms are vital business tools that nurture accountability and offer a resourceful database for monitoring workflow expenditure patterns thus improving your decision making. Through careful expense follow-ups, a travel reimbursement form also enables you to channel your resources into activities that are beneficial to your business.
Check the customizable form template below to design travel reimbursement forms that will perfectly fit your unique business case scenario:
How to start:
Step 1: Create your account and create a new applet by selecting a customizable template.
- Set the applet as “Team-wide” if you want all team members to view each other’s records.
- Alternatively, you can allow each participant to view his/her own records only and stakeholders to view all entries.
- Invite guests with limited permissions, if needed.
- Set up reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic email reminders.
- Configure who will add records by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill it out and submit it.
Step 3: As soon as a new record is added, participants with “View” rights will receive an email notification and can view it in real time on the Timeline screen.
- Click “Edit” to change status or other relevant attributes.
- Employees can discuss records in real time — each record has its own section for live comments.
- Add an unlimited number of attachments (documents, images, photos, videos, audio notes, files) to a record.
- Export records or share them online.
Step 4: Get instant access to historical data and files with powerful search and filtering capabilities.
Step 5: The dashboard screen allows you to save time when you want to check a high-level overview, with quick one-click retrieval of the relevant information.