A weekly progress report serves as a means of coordination and communication between different departments involved in a project or an activity. It is also a tool used to evaluate an employee’s performance as it keeps the management informed on his accomplishments and achievements.
For some organization or in a remote team setting, submission of a weekly progress report is required before the employee is paid for the work they have done.
The management is also able to craft business strategies using the weekly progress report. Also, it ensures that the output of an employee is in line with the management and the company’s expectations.
Its importance lies in the fact that by accomplishing a weekly progress report, employees can see strengths and weaknesses.
Furthermore, it also gives them an idea on his speed in completing the task. They can decide on thier own whether to double up their efforts, especially if they are falling behind schedule.
The weekly progress report, indeed, plays a critical role in companies and organization. Therefore, it’s also important for employees to be able to provide one that completely describes thier work for the week.
- How to Write a Weekly Progress Report Part 1
- 2 Best Templates: Free Download Part 2
- How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier Part 3
- Additional Sources Part 4
Here are some pointers to consider in writing an effective weekly progress report:
- Since this is a weekly report, it is advisable to use specific terms in describing the work done. Using terms such as ‘clerical works,’ ‘filing and recording,’ and others may not be able to fully explain in details what he has done for the week.
Using vague expressions may also give an impression that the employee was not able to accomplish something significant during the week.
- It is also not necessary for the report to be long since it is understandable that there are only a few but substantial tasks completed for that week. Good wording is a key to effective reporting.
Use longer sentences to convey your ideas effectively but refrain from using unnecessary words to avoid sounding like you are bluffing.
- At first, producing a daily report might be tedious, but as they say, practice makes perfect.
In fact, if you have already formed a habit of recording your works for the week, what usually takes 30 minutes will eventually take only 5 minutes.
- You may also include a section on the tasks you are scheduled to work on the following week. Aside from that, it also serves as your plan for the next week to make it more structured and organized. It will also give your supervisor an idea on how you will be spending your time on the following week.
The importance and worth of a weekly progress report are, indeed, undeniable. Managers may not be able to see you weekly and will only get an overview of your performance through these reports.
Weekly Progress Report: Free Download
Templates on ProsperForms:
How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier
How to configure status reports on ProsperForms:
- Create a “Project Status Report” applet — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill in and submit the report.
Data such as the report type, date and name will be added automatically.
As soon as a new status report is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time.
Step 3 (Optional): Generate a report and export it to PDF.
(Skip this step if you share status reports online and don’t print them.)
Click “Generate Report”.
- Make project reporting easier with auto-fill:
Fields such as date, name, report type, and formatting are inserted automatically by software.
- Consolidate reports automatically:
Reports created by your team members can be consolidated easily.
- Save time with auto-layout:
No need to spend hours in Word or Excel perfecting the report’s layout because it exports your updates into a beautifully crafted file with a couple of clicks.
- Peace of mind with auto-reminders:
No one forgets to fill in their status reports because ProsperForms automatically sends timely reminders according to the schedule you chose.
- Decrease time and effort spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Quick sharing:
Status reports can be either
– exported to files and printed, or sent by email;
– shared with the manager online (in real time);
– optionally shared online as team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other to spend less time on meetings.
Sign up now.