Effectively Conduct “Daily Huddles” to Set the Work Day Right (+ Free Download)
A daily huddle is a short meeting, usually taking only about 15 minutes, conducted by the team leader before the start of the day or shift. The team discusses the tasks before them for the day and any news about the company—sales promotions, changes in policies, new officials, etc. is announced.
Sports teams also conduct daily huddles, along with many other groups or organizations. This practice has been proven to be an effective leadership and management tool. Although it is expected that any employee should already know what she is supposed to do on a daily basis; daily communication with her supervisor or manager will help her become more engaged in her work and more involved with the organization or the project.
Daily huddles in the workplace are also an effective way of improving internal communications within a company. Messages are easily understood, and there is an open exchange of thoughts. This informal nature of conversation allows a more open and warm discussion. Employees feel freer to share their ideas or to express their opinions when asked. They become more confident in raising their concerns or issues at their level and, in turn, these can addressed and resolved.
Though it is still part of the workday, a daily huddle provides a good bonding activity within teams or units in the organization, as it makes them feel more attuned and coordinated.
- How to Conduct Daily Huddles Effectively Part 1
- Effective Daily Huddle Template: Free Download Part 2
- How to Spend 10x Less Time on Meetings Part 3
- How to Make Meeting Agendas and Minutes 10x Easier Part 4
- Additional Sources Part 5
Here are some tips to effectively conduct the daily huddle:
- Encourage everyone to attend the daily huddle. Make this activity a daily practice to instill commitment among all employees and make it something for them to look forward to.
- Break the ice by beginning the discussion with good news that brings a positive vibe, or a light topic that allows everyone to have a good laugh. This will help to get everyone talking.
- Daily huddles can also be an opportunity to get to know each team member on a personal level. Make it a point to squeeze in a topic in the daily huddle agenda which will allow everyone to share something about themselves or their experiences.
- Even if the daily huddle is just a short meeting, it is still important to document what was discussed. Make recording it easier by using a daily huddle template.
Tip: If you use status.net instead of daily huddles, all information is collected automatically and always available for future reference, including printable reports with flexible filtering by person(s) and date range.
- On the other hand, the daily huddle is not the right venue to investigate issues or to scold employees. Save these topics to be discussed during one-on-one meetings with individual employees.
- When teams regularly have daily huddles or daily updates via status.net, they will notice that there are fewer emails and interruptions during the day. Employees become more focused, and their work expectations are clearer, making them more productive and efficient.
Effective Daily Huddles: Free Download
Templates on Status Platform:
How to Spend 10x Less Time on Meetings?
How to use Status Platform for status reports:
- Easily implement daily or weekly status reports for your team members by creating a status feed with questions like “What did you do today?” or “How did you contribute to the team’s goals this week?”.
- Peace of mind:
No one forgets to fill in their status reports because Status Platform sends timely reminders according to the recurrence schedule you chose.
- Increase workplace satisfaction by improving transparency:
Each status update has a separate section for comments, which is used by team members to clarify information, including upcoming goals, and by leaders to provide feedback and coordinate better without micromanagement.
- Use status reports for future reference and decrease time and efforts spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Optionally, enrich reports with the latest updates automatically added from web apps your team uses (such as project management tools, version control systems, support systems, financial applications, etc.) by connecting these apps to your status applet.
- Spend less time on meetings by making them more productive because everyone is on the same page at all times.
- Sharing: Status reports can be either
— exported to files and printed, or sent by email;
— shared with manager online (in this case, an email with the full text of the status report will be sent automatically); or
— shared online as company-wide or team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other.
How to configure status reports on Status Platform:
- Create a “Status Report” applet — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill in and submit the report.
Data such as the report type, date and name will be added automatically.
As soon as a new status report is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time.
- Set the applet as “Team-wide” if you want all team members to view each other’s status reports.
- Alternatively, you can make every participant to view his/her own reports only. Manager/stakeholders will view all reports.
- Add, remove, and assign new team members at any time.
Step 3 (Optional): Generate a report and export it to PDF.
(Skip this step if you share status reports online and don’t print them.)
Click “Generate Report”.
How to Make Meeting Agendas and Minutes 10x Easier
How to configure online meeting agendas and/or meeting minutes:
- Create a “Meeting Agenda” or “Meeting Minutes” applet on Status Platform — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders
- Configure who will submit it by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill it in and submit it.
- Participants can comment on a meeting agenda in its comments section, which ensures the right context for discussion and further reference.
- Mention those people who you want to take action or pay attention by using @ before their names. These people will receive personal notifications on their status accounts and by email.@mention a team member in your meeting agenda or in its comments section by using “@” and your team member’s name.Example comment: “@Peter and @Mary, do you have any comments regarding the “Metrics” section? @Don, are you coming to the meeting?”In this case, Peter, Mary, Don will automatically receive an additional personal notification, so they know they’re expected to take action or pay attention and won’t forget to add their input in the meeting agenda’s comments section.
Info such as the date and the name of the person will be added automatically.
As soon as a new meeting agenda/minutes record is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time when they log in to their Status Platform accounts. They will also automatically receive an email notification.
Step 3 (Optional): Print it.
(Skip this step if you share meeting agendas and minutes online and don’t print them.)
- Choose date
- Click “file” button
- Click “Generate”
Sign up now to make your team happier and more productive.
See also: How to Make Meeting Agendas 10x Easier
- How to Create a Daily Work Log Template + Free Download
- How to Write a Daily Work Report + Free Template Download
- How to Write a Daily Report + Free Template Download