The daily work report is a valuable tool to ensure that employees stay on track with their performance targets and, at the same time, monitor their progress. This report allows supervisors or managers to have a quick look on what the staff did on a particular day, specifically his accomplishments or achievements, plans for the next day, and issues or challenges encountered during the day.
- Tips and Techniques to a Great Daily Work Report Part 1
- Daily Work Report Template Download Part 2
- How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier Part 3
- Additional Resources Part 4
It also serves as a useful communication tool between the supervisor and the staff. Through this report, the supervisor is able to see whether the staff is meeting his target or not. Both the employee and the supervisor will also see how the day was being spent and what activities eat up the majority of the employee’s working hours.
Furthermore, the work report helps the employee stay accountable for his daily goals and assess his own performance.
Here are some tips and techniques on how to come up with a daily work report that speaks transparency and integrity while, at the same time, creates trust and confidence between the supervisor and the employee:
The Daily Work Report Should Contain the Accomplishments of the Employee During the Day
Though they may be small in terms of impact on the team’s progress since these are daily performances, it still reflects how the employee is contributing to the team’s overall success. Aside from that, it also shows how productive the employee is on a daily basis.
Plans and Goals Should Be Included in the Daily Work Report
This practice does not only help the employee inch closer to his targets, but it also helps him plan to deliver tangible results to make his day productive.
It Is Important Not to Forget Issues Encountered During the Day
If the employee was able to resolve the problem, he should also report how he was able to do so. Other team members or staff might encounter the same issue in the next day and can know how to address it will help save time and resources and improve work processes in the organization in the process.
In addition, this will help the supervisor see the maturity and professionalism of the staff which can be a basis for his readiness to take on bigger responsibilities. If the issue was not addressed, the daily work report would help bring this to the attention of the supervisor, especially if the solution needs the intervention of higher officials.
A Daily Work Report on the Learning Made by Employees in the Day
It could be a work process enhancement, ideas on how the organization can improve, or even on an individual’s work.
A bullet-type report will help ensure that the daily work report reflects the details necessary for the supervisor to know. The report should be free from mistakes, as it’s a reflection of the employee’s regard for his work.
Daily Work Report Template: Free Download Section
Free online tools for work:
1. Fluxes.com — Free Project and Task Management Software
2. Status.net — Software for Daily and Weekly Status Reports
How to Make Status Reporting 10x Easier
How to configure status reports on status.net:
- Create a “Daily Status Report” applet — customize our preset forms or easily create a new form in minutes.
- Setup reminders if you want your team members to receive automatic reminders when their reports are due.
- Configure who will submit reports by choosing the “Participants” tab.
Step 2: Users will click the “Open Submission Form” button to fill in and submit the report.
Data such as the report type, date and name will be added automatically.
As soon as a new status report is added, participants with “View” rights can view it in real time.
- Set the applet as “Team-wide” if you want all team members to view each other’s status reports.
- Alternatively, you can make every participant to view his/her own reports only. Manager/stakeholders will view all reports.
- Add, remove, and assign new team members at any time.
Step 3 (Optional): Generate a report and export it to PDF.
(Skip this step if you share status reports online and don’t print them.)
Click “Generate Report”.
- Make project reporting easier with auto-fill:
Fields such as date, name, report type, and formatting are inserted automatically by software.
- Consolidate reports automatically:
Reports created by your team members can be consolidated easily.
- Save time with auto-layout:
No need to spend hours in Word or Excel perfecting the report’s layout because it exports your updates into a beautifully crafted file with a couple of clicks.
- Peace of mind with auto-reminders:
No one forgets to fill in their status reports because status.net sends timely reminders according to the schedule you chose.
- Decrease time and effort spent on monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting thanks to powerful filtering and export features.
- Optionally, enrich reports with the latest updates automatically added from web apps your team uses (such as popular free task management software Fluxes.com, and other project management tools, version control systems, support systems, financial applications, etc.) by connecting these apps to your status applet.
- Quick sharing:
Status reports can be either
– exported to files and printed, or sent by email;
– shared with the manager online (in real time);
– shared online (in real-time) as company-wide or team-wide status reports, i.e., all team members share their progress with each other — spend less time on meetings.
Sign up now to make status reporting easier for your team.